Just in the nic of time for pancake day here’s my recipe for Baked Kale & Mushroom Pancakes. Pancake Day doesn’t have to be all about the sweet stuff, I’d go as far as to say I actually prefer a savoury pancake these days. And especially one with a hefty intake of veggies to boot.
INGREDIENTS, to make 8 stuffed pancakes:
150g kale, washed, tough inner stalks removed, shredded
1 clove garlic
250g chestnut mushrooms, brushed clean, thickly sliced
200g Ricotta cheese
30g Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese + 40g for the topping
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch black pepper
1 squeeze lemon
For the Tommie Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 pinch each of black pepper, salt, sugar
For the pancakes:
I follow trusty Delia’s recipe here.
1) Prepare your filling by starting with the kale. Thoroughly wash it, remove any tough stalks and shred. Cook in a lidded saucepan with a little water for 8 to 10 minutes until tender. Drain and squeeze out any excess water.
2) Meanwhile saute the mushrooms with the garlic and butter in a frying pan until soft.
3) In a bowl mix together the kale and mushrooms with the rest of the filling ingredients. Set aside.
4) Preheat your oven to 180ºc / 160ºc fan / gas mark 4.
5) Make your tomato sauce. Fry the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes until soft. Stir through the garlic and cook for a further minute before pouring in the chopped tomatoes and the pepper, salt and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6) For a smooth sauce whiz the tommie sauce with a stick blender, but if you don’t mind a few lumps and bumps leave as is.
7) Make up 8 pancakes, following Delia’s recipe here if you wish.
8) Now for assembly. Spoon half of the tommie sauce into the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Fill each of the pancakes with an eighth of the kale and mushroom mixture and roll up. Lay them over the tommie sauce. Cover the pancakes in the other half of the tomato sauce and sprinkle over the remaining 40g of the Grana Padano or Parmesan.
9) Bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Serve with a crisp green salad. Devour.