23rd April 2018
Rhubarb and ginger are a delicious combination and together with whipped cream and Greek yogurt rhubarb fool offers the perfect balance of sweet, creamy and tart. This is an extremely easy but sublime pud, top with crumbled shortbread or stem ginger cookies for added luxury. Serves 4.
300g rhubarb stems, washed
1 blood orange, juiced, or an ordinary orange
30g light brown soft sugar
1 dessertspoon finely chopped stem ginger
1 dessertspoon syrup from the stem ginger jar
150ml double cream
150ml Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons runny honey
cookies or biscuits to serve, optional
- Slice the rhubarb into 4 to 5cm lengths. Slice thicker pieces into narrow strips.
- Place the rhubarb, orange juice, sugar, ginger and syrup in a saucepan. Place on a gentle heat and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until very tender but just about holding some shape. Take off the heat and leave to cook completely.
- Meanwhile whip the cream until soft peaks form and then lightly whip in the yogurt and honey.
- Once the rhubarb is fully cooled ripple through the cream and yogurt. Serve in small bowls or glasses and top with shortbread or ginger cookies if you wish.