A really easy crowd-pleasing mid-week dinner contains oodles of gorgeous summer veggies. For extra oomph try adding a pinch of dried chilli flakes at the same time as the tomato passata.
INGREDIENTS, serves 4:
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely diced
1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
1 Red Pepper, diced into 1 cm pieces
1 smallish Courgette, diced into 1 cm cubes
1 smallish Aubergine, diced into 1 cm cubes
1 680g jar Tomato Passata
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 heaped tsp dried Oregano
1 x 500g pack Gnocchi
1 pinch each of Sugar, Salt & Pepper
1 ball Mozzarella
2 tbsps Grana Padano, or a vegetarian Grana Padano/Parmesan style cheese, finely grated
1. Prepare all your veggies according to the ingredients list.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook for 5 mins stirring from time to time.
3. Add the garlic, pepper, courgette and aubergine to the onions plus 1 tablespoon of water. Cook for 10 minutes stirring from time to time so nothing catches.
4. Add the tomato passata, tomato puree, oregano, gnocchi and a pinch each of sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on until the vegetables and gnocchi are tender and cooked.
5. Tip into a large ovenproof dish.
6. Tear or slice the Mozzarella and place on the top, sprinkle over the grated Grana Padano.
7. Place under a hot grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
8. Serve hot with a green side salad.