Part soup, part simple stew this is a hearty winter warmer of a bowl that’s sure to knock the socks of this cold snap we’re currently experiencing. Make with any greens you have, but it’s particular delish with robust kale (either curly kale or cavolo nero black kale) or savoy cabbage.
1 very large Onion or two Leeks, finely diced or sliced
3 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
150g Chorizo, sliced and each slice cut into 6/8 small pieces
600g Potatoes (about 4 large ones), peeled and diced into 1cm chunks
1 litre weak Chicken Stock
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Black Pepper
200g to 400g Savoy Cabbage, Chard, Curly Kale, Cavolo Nero or a mix of any of these, finely shredded
- In a large saucepan saute the onion or leek in the olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes until very soft
- Add the garlic and diced chorizo and continue to saute for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the diced potatoes and pour in the stock, season with a generous pinch or two of black pepper. You can add salt but the soup should be salty enough from the stock and chorizo.
- Simmer until the potatoes are nearly cooked then add the greens to your soup. If you want a heavy soup add as much as the soup will take.
- Simmer until the potatoes are very tender and falling apart and the greens are cooked.