Considerably healthier than the shop bought equivalent these veggie crisps are oven baked with only the merest coating of olive oil (or even better cold pressed rapeseed oil if you have it). Almost the same crunch as the fried crisps and still very tasty and satisfying, my kids devoured an enormous batch in precisely two minutes flat which says it all really. And a great way to get kids eating beetroot if they’re ordinarily adverse.
1 large Carrot
3 teaspoons Rapeseed or Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1) Preheat your oven to 160ºc / 140ºc fan / gas mark 6.
2) Scrub your veggies very clean with a veggie brush (but do not peel).
3) Using a swivel blade peeler peel off long strips of the parsnip and place in a bowl. Repeat with the carrot and beetroot placing in separate bowls.
4) Pour a teaspoon of oil into each bowl along with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Using your (clean) hands rub the oil, salt and pepper into the strips making sure they are evenly coated.
5) Lay each of the veggies in a single layer on separate baking sheets and place in the oven.
5) Bake for 10 to 20 minutes until a little golden and feeling crispy. Different thicknesses will take varying times to cook so remove baked crisps as you go along (using tongs or a spatula). Keep a close eye on the oven as they are quick to burn.
6) Allow to cool and crisp up for a few minutes. Eat and enjoy!.